Friday, May 1, 2009

Lei Day


May 1st is Lei Day here in Hawaii. I can vividly remember these days in elementary school and all of the preparation that led up to it. I loved May Day! It was a fun day of Hawaiian culture and a celebration shared with family and friends. We would practice Hawaiian songs and hula in our classes and perform for our parents and members of the community what we had learned on May Day. It was awesome to see the crowds of people who showed up to watch the keiki perform.

I can remember loving the fact that we got out of classes to do these practices as well as the big performance, but I also remember loving to see all of the keiki, no matter what race or ethnicity, come together and celebrate the place which we live. It was an amazing experience for me personally and it is one of the many reasons why I feel that I am so lucky to have grown up in Hawaii!

I can't wait until I can attend Ilihia's May Day performances!

What are some of your May Day memories?


No comments:

Post a Comment